Tiger Shark Diving in Fuvahmulah Maldives
Diving in the Maldives is unlike anything else. Seeing a tiger shark in Fuvahmulah, Maldives? It’s even better. Fuvahmulah has made its reputation and is considered a diver’s paradise because of its breath-taking and vibrant marine life. From its eye-catching coral reefs to diving with sharks and mantas, a new diving adventure always awaits. Pelagic Divers Fuvahmulah and PADI are introducing a new tiger shark diving course.
Tiger Shark Overview
The Galeocerdo cuvier or commonly known as the tiger shark, is the second-largest predatory shark after the Great White Shark. They get their name from ter distinctive grey vertical stripes that are more evident in juveniles. The magnificent tiger shark can grow anywhere between 10 to 14 feet and weigh between 850 to 1400 pounds. Tiger sharks are most commonly found in tropical and sub-tropical waters around the world. In Fuvahmulah, our team of natives take divers to Tiger Harbour on a daily basis to get a close up look at them.
The Tiger Shark is an amazing creature. These magnificent swimmers have excellent senses of both sight and smell. Their sharp teeth along with powerful jaws have the ability to crack the shells of both sea turtles and clams. It is important to respect them when we are visiting their territory. After all, isn’t that what you do when you visit someone’s home? That’s why we highly advise future divers to pay close attention to the rules and details outlined in the Tiger Shark Specialty Course that PADI 5* dive center Pelagic Divers Fuvahmulah offers.
Tiger Sharks like many other sharks are heavily harvested for their fins, skin and flesh. Currently, the Tiger Shark’s population status is “near threatened”. This is incredibly alarming as Tiger Shark has an extremely low population rate and is highly susceptible to overfishing. At Pelagic Divers Fuvahmulah, we share the importance of respecting the marine life we see on our dives and how to best scuba dive with sharks so that no harm comes their way and all parties involved are safe.
PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors)
PADI is the largest ocean exploration and diving organization in the world. They operate in 16 countries and territories having more than 6,600 dive centres and resorts. PADI boasts over 128 professional members scattered all around the globe. They are an organization for adventure seekers to save the ocean through underwater education, life-changing experiences and travel. Their commitment to environmental conservation has allowed millions of people to explore, steward and protect the world’s oceans. At Pelagic Divers Fuvahmulah, our owner, Ahmed Inah, is a PADI certified instructor and ensures these values in his diving and offered services.
PADI Speciality Distinct Fuvahmulah Tiger Shark Diver
This tiger shark diving course comprises of theoretical sections using multiple presentation techniques with a focus on the study of the Tiger Shark’s behaviour, biology and ecology. The goal of this tiger shark diving course is to introduce participants to sustainable shark diving techniques. Participants will learn how to interact with Tiger Sharks in a safe and meaningful manner.
This tiger shark diving course consists of one instructor and four students with the minimum depth being five metres. This tiger shark diving course will comprise knowledge development sessions as well as two open-water training dives. In this tiger shark diving course, participants will be required to learn some skills related to the shark species, its habitat, shark conservation, and sustainable diving interactions, including taking practice measurements and recording them on the data sheets.
Before joining the tiger shark diving course, participants will be required to attend all the knowledge development presentations or e/learning. To partake in tiger shark diving, all participants must pass the knowledge review, pass with 75% and 100% mastery where questions are reviewed.
In this tiger shark diving course, participants will undertake the following seven different modules:
- Module 1: History of Fuvahmulah Island, the co-existing relationship between local fishermen and tiger sharks
- Module 2: Shark biology, ecology and general behaviour
- Module 3: Tiger Shark species and conservation
- Module 4: Tiger Shark behaviour observation and data collection techniques
- Module 5: Shark + human interaction recommendations
- Module 6: Shark incidents; standard procedures and emergency procedures
- Module 7: Tiger shark threats and conservation status
- Module 8: Final evaluations (knowledge assessment and knowledge review) and feedback
At the end of the tiger shark diving course, participants will learn the following learning outcomes:
- Recognize and identify the tiger shark (species) in Fuvahmulah Island, Maldives
- Make a quick assessment of the tiger shark’s behaviour
- Divers will dive in a sustainable way underwater in balance with the studied tiger shark species and its environment without interfering with its natural behaviour
- Divers will learn how to identify and be aware of the most important shark signs and data to register (optional)
- Understand the most important shark information (gender, size, behaviour, markings and others)
- Understand how to interact when dealing with sharks in their natural environment
- Understand the tiger shark conservation status in the world (based on IUCN)
Take the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course
Few places in the world offer the chance for participants to get up close and personal with the Tiger Shark. Participants will also get to learn and interact with these apex predators, with PADI certified specialists and in a sustainable manner as well. This tiger shark diving course is the best way to experience tiger sharks in Fuvahmulah! Have a look at our promotions and packages today!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What qualifications do I need to have to join the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course?
Divers need to be certified Advanced Open Water certified, or equivalent to join the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course.
- How long is the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course?
The PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course takes 2 days consisting of two tiger shark dives, knowledge review and a test.
- What do I get once I have completed the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course?
Once a diver has completed the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course, they will have some basic knowledge on how to dive safely with tiger sharks, their general behaviour, recommended shark and human interactions and more. Divers would also be able to name one of the Fuvahmulah tiger sharks.
- Do I need to book the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course in advance?
No, divers do not need to book the PADI Tiger Shark Speciality Course. Divers can decide to do the course once they are on the island.